No threat to my government, says Karnataka CM
Bangalore: Karnataka Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar on Monday asserted there was no threat to his government in the wake of resignation by some BJP MLAs and he would be presenting his maiden budget on February 08.
"There is no threat to the government. On February 8 I am going to present the budget. Nothing to worry", he told reporters after Governor HR Bhardwaj`s address to the joint state legislature session here.
Shettar said he would welcome constructive criticism and suggestion from opposition parties, when his attention was drawn to opposition criticisms on his government.
Days ahead of the session, 13 rebel BJP MLAs loyal to former Chief Minister and Karnataka Janata Party president BS Yeddyurappa had submitted their resignations from the House membership to Speaker KG Bopaiah, who accepted 12 and rejected one on technical grounds.
One more BJP MLA had submitted his resignation on Feb 1, but its fate is yet to be known.
The development posed no threat to the six month-old Shettar ministry as the effective strength of the 224-member House has been reduced with 12 more seats falling vacant in addition to the two earlier.
With the acceptance of resignation of 12 MLAs, the BJP now has a strength of 105, Congress 71, JDS 26, independents seven (one of whom is supporting the Government and is in the Ministry) and the Speaker.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof