No threat to my government, says Karnataka CM
Bangalore: Karnataka Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar on Monday asserted there was no threat to his government in the wake of resignation by some BJP MLAs and he would be presenting his maiden budget on February 08.
"There is no threat to the government. On February 8 I am going to present the budget. Nothing to worry", he told reporters after Governor HR Bhardwaj`s address to the joint state legislature session here.
Shettar said he would welcome constructive criticism and suggestion from opposition parties, when his attention was drawn to opposition criticisms on his government.
Days ahead of the session, 13 rebel BJP MLAs loyal to former Chief Minister and Karnataka Janata Party president BS Yeddyurappa had submitted their resignations from the House membership to Speaker KG Bopaiah, who accepted 12 and rejected one on technical grounds.
One more BJP MLA had submitted his resignation on Feb 1, but its fate is yet to be known.
The development posed no threat to the six month-old Shettar ministry as the effective strength of the 224-member House has been reduced with 12 more seats falling vacant in addition to the two earlier.
With the acceptance of resignation of 12 MLAs, the BJP now has a strength of 105, Congress 71, JDS 26, independents seven (one of whom is supporting the Government and is in the Ministry) and the Speaker.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?