No threat to my government, says Karnataka CM
Bangalore: Karnataka Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar on Monday asserted there was no threat to his government in the wake of resignation by some BJP MLAs and he would be presenting his maiden budget on February 08.
"There is no threat to the government. On February 8 I am going to present the budget. Nothing to worry", he told reporters after Governor HR Bhardwaj`s address to the joint state legislature session here.
Shettar said he would welcome constructive criticism and suggestion from opposition parties, when his attention was drawn to opposition criticisms on his government.
Days ahead of the session, 13 rebel BJP MLAs loyal to former Chief Minister and Karnataka Janata Party president BS Yeddyurappa had submitted their resignations from the House membership to Speaker KG Bopaiah, who accepted 12 and rejected one on technical grounds.
One more BJP MLA had submitted his resignation on Feb 1, but its fate is yet to be known.
The development posed no threat to the six month-old Shettar ministry as the effective strength of the 224-member House has been reduced with 12 more seats falling vacant in addition to the two earlier.
With the acceptance of resignation of 12 MLAs, the BJP now has a strength of 105, Congress 71, JDS 26, independents seven (one of whom is supporting the Government and is in the Ministry) and the Speaker.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- IIT Kharagpur students design racing car to compete in Russia
- IRCTC to offer Rs 10 lakh insurance cover for Re 1
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security?
- Mobile communication partially restored in Kashmir Valley
- Madhavan delighted with 'Saala Khadoos' being lauded in Canada
- Ranveer Singh's 6-pack abs will give you serious fitness goals! Watch video
- Rio Olympics 2016: Neymar defends his party boy lifestyle
- Mayawati raises assault on Muslim women by vigilantes in Madhya Pradesh