Northeast exodus: 3 more held for spreading rumours
Bangalore: Three more persons were on Saturday arrested for spreading rumours about attacks on people of North-Eastern states residing here which triggered their exodus, taking the total number of those detained in this connection so far to 16.
Anees Pasha, Tseen Nawaz and Shahid Salman Khan were arrested under IPC section 153 (A) (spreading enmity among various communities) by spreading rumours through email and SMS, Police Commissioner Jyotiprakash Mirji told reporters here.
Police seized four mobile phones, two computers and a laptop from their possession, Mirji said.
So far 15 cases had been registered in connection with the rumour mongering, which led to around 28,000 people from the North East region leaving the city in the past three days, he said adding some more arrests would be made in coming days.
Karnataka DGP Lalrokhuma Pachau, who hails from Mizoram where he had served as the police chief, said he had spoken to officials of seven North Eastern states and apprised them of the safety and security of their community in the state.
Pachau said barring some minor incidents "The situation is normal in the state".
As many as 300 northeast people left the city in a regular train which departed from Yeshwanthpur to Howrah, Mirji said.
"Six-hundred CRPF and RAF personnel have been deployed in various sensitive areas," he added.
He also said they have held several peace committee meetings with several communities.
The police also intensified night patrolling with extra forces keeping vigil even after 2 am, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video