Northeasterners fleeing B`lore cross 18,000; RAF to be deployed
Bangalore: Six companies of Rapid Action Force (around 750 personnel) would be deployed in parts of the city to instill confidence among the panic-stricken people from the northeast even as the number of those fleeing from here has crossed 18,000.
Deputy Chief Minister and Home Minister R Ashoka told reporters here that the RAF companies would conduct flag marches in areas where people from the northeast reside in large numbers.
Ashoka said the state government has "definite information" about those who have sent the SMSes that created panic and they would be arrested soon.
Officials said 16,000 northeasterners have fled the city in the past two days, and another 2,000 headed home this afternoon in a special train.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet