Notices to all 170 mining firms to stop operations
Bellary: A day after the Supreme Court
ordered suspension of mining operations in the district, the
administration on Saturday served notices to all 170 mining
companies to halt operations.
Official sources said the authorities asked all mine
owners to comply with the Supreme Court directive.
The Apex Court had yesterday ordered immediate suspension
of mining and transportation of iron ore from Bellary
district, stating that "over-exploitation" of the area has
caused large-scale environmental degradation.
The court passed the order by taking note of the report
of its expert panel, Central Empowered Committee, which said
most miners in the region were indulging in illegal mining,
causing considerable environmental damage.
Meanwhile, police today seized 49 trucks illegally
transporting iron ore at Alighar on the outskirts of the city.
Police said the value of the seized material was being
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof