Now, a dedicated Women`s helpline in Karnataka
Bangalore: Stepping up measures for women`s safety in the backdrop of growing demand for such action, Karnataka Government today set up a dedicated helpline.
Women in distress and those facing threat of attack including molestation could call on phone number 1091.
The helpline in Bangalore would work 24x7, state Home Minister R Ashok told reporters here.
The government initiative comes in the backdrop of the national outrage over the gang rape of para-medical student in Delhi and several incidents of rapes in the state in the past fortnight.
Voicing concern over rape incidents, state Energy Minister Shoba Karandlaje yesterday urged the BJP government in the state to amend laws to provide for stringent punishment, including surgical castration, to perpetrators of crime against women.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!