Now, a dedicated Women`s helpline in Karnataka
Bangalore: Stepping up measures for women`s safety in the backdrop of growing demand for such action, Karnataka Government today set up a dedicated helpline.
Women in distress and those facing threat of attack including molestation could call on phone number 1091.
The helpline in Bangalore would work 24x7, state Home Minister R Ashok told reporters here.
The government initiative comes in the backdrop of the national outrage over the gang rape of para-medical student in Delhi and several incidents of rapes in the state in the past fortnight.
Voicing concern over rape incidents, state Energy Minister Shoba Karandlaje yesterday urged the BJP government in the state to amend laws to provide for stringent punishment, including surgical castration, to perpetrators of crime against women.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY