Now, a dedicated Women`s helpline in Karnataka
Bangalore: Stepping up measures for women`s safety in the backdrop of growing demand for such action, Karnataka Government today set up a dedicated helpline.
Women in distress and those facing threat of attack including molestation could call on phone number 1091.
The helpline in Bangalore would work 24x7, state Home Minister R Ashok told reporters here.
The government initiative comes in the backdrop of the national outrage over the gang rape of para-medical student in Delhi and several incidents of rapes in the state in the past fortnight.
Voicing concern over rape incidents, state Energy Minister Shoba Karandlaje yesterday urged the BJP government in the state to amend laws to provide for stringent punishment, including surgical castration, to perpetrators of crime against women.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Safa Baig: What you need to know about Irfan Pathan's lady love
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Katrina Kaif’s views on ‘intolerance’ in the country - Here's what the actress said
- Irfan Pathan marries 21-year-old Safa Baig in low-key affair