Now Karnataka Guv takes a dig at Advani yatra
Bangalore: In a rare instance of a non-partisan constitutional authority taking pot shots at a political leader, Karnataka Governor HR Bhardwaj Monday ribbed senior Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader LK Advani over his Jan Chetna Yatra.
"It is better to go on a padayatra (foot march), like Gandhiji did," he said.
Bhardwaj, a veteran Congressman and former central law minister, said on the margins of a function when asked to comment on the BJP veteran`s anti-corruption road show: "I don`t like rath (chariot) yatras. It is on a bus. It is better to go on a padayatra," he said.
Bhardwaj, who has been in a running battle with the BJP government in Karnataka, said at the same time, "I do not want make any comment as he is a senior leader of a party."
Ever since Advani announced his plans for a nation-wide anti-corruption yatra, many political parties, particularly the Congress, have been having a field day poking fun at it.
Monday was no different as Karnataka Congress chief G Parameshwara added his bit to ridicule the yatra in view of the scandals rocking the BJP government in the state.
"Is Advaniji coming to Bangalore to meet his party leaders in the Parappana Agrahara jail," Parameshwara asked, referring to the fact that BJP`s first chief minister in South India BS Yeddyurappa and two former ministers are in judicial custody on corruption cases.
Foreign Minister SM Krishna, credited with making Bangalore India`s IT hub when he was the Karnataka chief minister from 1999 to 2004, said on Sunday, "He should know for what purpose he has undertaken (the yatra) at a time when what is happening in Karnataka is known all over."
As soon as Advani announced the yatra plan, the Congress had taunted him to make Yeddyurappa its charioteer.
Advani is to address a public meeting in Bangalore on October 30 and in several places in the BJP stronghold of Karnataka`s coastal districts on October 31.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...