Now, Karnataka to enact law against black magic
New Delhi: Days after Maharashtra promulgated the anti-black magic and superstition ordinance, Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah today said his government too will enact a law against practitioners of black magic, blind faith and superstition.
"We will study the proposed Anti-Superstition and Black Magic Bill prepared by Maharashtra government and bring it in Karnataka too", Siddaramaiah told reporters here.
Karnataka government`s decision comes a week after the killing of rationalist Narendra Dabholkar in Pune.
Siddaramaiah said there was a necessity to ban practitioners of black magic and those who practice inhuman rituals have been exploiting the people in the name of religious faith.
In Maharashtra, Dabholkar had drafted the Anti -Superstition and Black Magic Bill over a decade ago but it repeatedly failed to get through the state legislature.
The Bill had proposed that those indulging in black magic or preying on peoples` superstitions be jailed for up to seven years. The bill also sought to ban a range of practices including black magic, animal sacrifice and "magical" remedies to cure ailments.
Taking a strong position against a controversial ritual "made snana", which is performed in several temples in the state, the Chief Minister said such practices should be banned.
"Made snana" refers to devotees rolling over plantain leaves containing leftovers of the food served to Brahmins.
Speaking on the issue of ordering a CBI probe into illegal mining activities in the state, the Chief Minister said his government favours conducting impartial investigation by the central agency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you