Now, Rs 2 lakh cr Wakf land scam in Karnataka
Bangalore: An alleged multi-crore scam involving encroachment and sale of Wakf Board land has come to light in Karnataka.
The scam is believed to be worth over Rs 2 lakh crore – more than the estimated Rs 1.76 lakh crore loss suffered by the exchequer in the 2G spectrum allocation scam. A report on the same was submitted to state Chief Minister DV Sadananda Gowda by Karnataka Minorities Commission Chairman Anwar Manipaddy on Monday.
A Karnataka government-appointed committee, headed by Manipaddy, stumbled upon the alleged scandal while surveying Wakf Board land.
Manippady said after submitting the 7,000-page report that the same may be tabled in the Karnataka Assembly in a day or two.
“Apart from powerful politicians, several Wakf Board members, Wakf officials, middlemen and land mafia have been involved in the scam," he said.
According to reports, the committee has named 38 Congress leaders in its report which also states that 22,000 to 27,000 acres of properties owned by the Wakf Board were unlawfully encroached upon and sold over the last 10 years.
"Misappropriation of Wakf land has taken place in city areas rather than in rural areas...About 85 per cent of misappropriation has happened in city areas," Manippady said.
The panel was constituted by the state government in November last year following complaints and media reports on the role of politicians and Wakf Board officials in the illegal sale of land to individuals.
Manipaddy said he has recommended to the government to set up a high-power committee to check corrupt activities taking place in Wakf Board and appoint a task force to retrieve Wakf properties sold illegally to "some powerful and influential people".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- GHMC election results: TRS scores landslide win; TDP-BJP wiped out
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...