NREG funds misuse; 17 Gram Panchayat Secretaries suspended
Shimoga(Karna): Seventeen gram panchayat
secretaries have been suspended and notices issued to eight
panchayat members on charge of misusing funds totalling Rs 40
lakh provided for implementing the Mahatma Gandhi Rural
Employment Guarantee Scheme in the district, an official said.
Criminal cases have been filed against four gram
panchayat members, District Ombudsman appointed to oversee the
scheme`s implementation, Venkatesh told reporters here today.
He said out of 71 complaints received during 2010-11, 45
have been disposed of. A special squad appointed by Zilla
Panchayat will also check the scheme`s implementation by all
gram panchayats in their respective areas.
Out of the total outlay of Rs 122 crore sanctioned for
the year, the district has spent 61.5 crore till date. Sorab
taluk tops the list in spending and Theerthahlli is in the
last position. There are 1,79, 475 job card holders in the
district with total beneficiaries of 4,75,550.
As per the Union Government`s norms every registered
family will get 100 days of work with a wage of Rs 125 per
day. He said many are not coming forward to avail this benefit
in some parts of the district due to availability of work with
higher wages in their area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!