One more Karnataka BJP legislator quits, to join KJP
Bangalore: One more BJP lawmaker submitted his resignation from the Assembly on Friday, pushing the Jagadish Shettar ministry into a precarious position ahead of the Budget Session beginning February 04.
"I have submitted my resignation from the Assembly to Speaker KG Bopaiah`s office as he was not present," DS Suresh, who represents Tarikere constituency, about 250 km north of Bangalore, told reporters here.
"I have requested that the resignation be accepted early. As soon as it is accepted, I will quit BJP and join KJP (Karnataka Janata Party headed by former BJP chief minister BS Yeddyurappa)," Suresh said.
With Suresh`s move, Bopaiah, who is away in his hometown Madikeri, about 260 km, now has two BJP legislators` resignations to accept.
He has kept pending, on technical grounds, the resignation of Vittal Katakadonda who represents Nagatana seat, about 600 km north of Bangalore, since last Tuesday when 12 other BJP legislators` resignations from the Assembly were accepted.
If Bopaiah accepts the resignation of Suresh and Katakadona before the Assembly begins its Budget Session on Monday, then the fate of Shettar ministry would depend on Independents.
These two resignations, if accepted, bring down the Bharatiya Janata Party`s strength in the Assembly to 104, including the speaker. The party has the support of one of the seven Independents who is a Cabinet minister.
The Karnataka Assembly strength is 225, including one nominated member.
However, at present, the strength of the house is 211 as there are 14 vacancies, created by desertion from the BJP ranks. Yeddyurappa and another BJP assembly member had quit the house earlier.
The Congress has 71 members and the Janata Dal-Secular 26. There are six other Independents.
One of the Independents, Shivaraj Thangadagi, on Friday told reporters in Kanakagiri in Koppal district, about 400 km north of Bangalore, that the six independents would meet on February 04 to jointly decide whether to support the Shettar government or not.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'