Oppn likely to disrupt Karnataka session over BJP land scams
Bangalore: The Karnataka legislature
session begins here tomorrow amid indications by the
Opposition that it is likely to stall proceedings, demanding
resignation of the B S Yeddyurappa-led government over alleged
land scams and other corruption charges.
The government has been under constant attack in the
past few months from Congress and JDS on alleged land scams
and acts of nepotism involving the chief minister.
JDS, which led the attack releasing `documents` to
back its charges, has declared it would emulate in the
legislature what BJP did in Parliament on the 2G spectrum row
till Yeddyurappa quits.
Congress has also indicated it would not be a smooth
affair for the ruling party on the floor of the house as the
party would continue its agitation.
Yeddyurappa today urged the Opposition to facilitate
smooth functioning of both houses and said his government was
ready for a debate on all issues.
The government is expected to counter the Opposition
onslaught by taking shelter under its decision to hold a
judicial probe into the matter.
The government will have to face opposition ire on the
Karnataka Industrial Area Development land scams, over which
the Lokayukta has already filed a FIR against 11 people,
including former minister Katta Subramanya Naidu and his
corporator son Jagadish.
Naidu had to demit office after the FIR.
Other issues likely be debated include the `tardy
progress` in rehabilitating flood affected persons in parts of
north Karnataka and alleged income tax evasion by Tourism
Minister G Janardhana Reddy owned mining company and illegal
Meanwhile the government is gearing up to press for
action against Congress and JDS MLAs for their unruly
behaviour during the Speaker`s election on December 30, 2009,
which has been established by a house committee report.
The outcome of just concluded zilla and taluk
panchayat would be a major weapon in the armoury of the ruling
side to counter the opposition, which put up a dismal show.
BJP won in 12 zilla panchayats out of 30 as against
four each by Congress and JDS.
On the opening day, Governor H R Bhardwaj will address
the joint sitting. On January 7, the proceedings will be
devoted to obituary reference.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town