Oppn turns heat on Yeddyurappa on donations to his sons` trust
Bangalore: Karnataka Chief Minister BS
Yeddyurappa on Monday rejected a CBI probe into the Opposition`s
charge that his sons misused office to get donations for a
trust run by them, as the Legislative Assembly witnessed angry
scenes over the issue.
Opposition leader Siddaramaiah (Cong) alleged that the
Prerana Educational and Social Trust, run by BY Raghavendra
and BY Vijayendra and some others, had received Rs 27.18
crore donations during 2008-09 and 2009-10 and the donor firms
had been granted favours by the government.
Intervening during submissions by Siddaramaiah when he
sought to move an adjournment motion on the issue, Yeddyurappa
said the government was ready for any inquiry, except by CBI.
"BJP-ruled states don`t have confidence in the CBI,"
he said, a position which irked the Congress and the JDS with
almost all opposition members on their feet demanding a CBI
The treasury benches supported the chief minister`s
stand with full vigour, as sparks flew between them and the
A combative Yeddyurappa said such trusts were being
run by Opposition parties as well and said he was ready for a
comprehensive discussion, also involving them, not just
Yeddyurappa also warned that if debate were to be held
on the trusts run by some Opposition members, "they may have
to run from the House (for cover as they will be exposed).
"We are ready for discussion," Siddaramaiah insisted,
accepting Yeddyurappa`s offer for a comprehensive debate.
Yeddyurappa said if it`s proven that the Trust had
misused funds, he would quit office, for which Siddaramaiah
said it was not the point the opposition was raising.
Siddaramaiah said the donors were granted official
favours and one of them, Adarsh Developers, was allowed to
encroach government land.
While withholding consent to the adjournment motion,
Speaker KG Bopaiah allowed discussion on the issue under a
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference