Opposition calls off dharna in Karnataka Assembly
Bangalore: Opposition Congress and JDS on Friday ended their five-day-old dharna, demanding CBI probe into the alleged illegal mining in the state, in the Karnataka Assembly in the wake of the House being adjourned sine die, but said they would continue their fight on the issue outside.
"We are calling off the dharna as the House has been
adjourned sine-die. However, we will continue our fight
against illegal mining against the BJP government outside the
House," Opposition Congress Deputy Leader T B Jayachandra and
JDS leader H D Revanna told reporters here.
Leaders of both the parties will soon be meeting Governor
H R Bhardwaj to plead with him to withhold assent to 17 bills
passed in both Houses of the legislature without discussion
since yesterday, they said.
Earlier in the day, Speaker K G Bopaiah adjourned the
Assembly sine die, cutting short the session by nearly a
fortnight as his repeated pleas to the Opposition to call of
the dharna went in vain.
Jayachandra said the future course of action, including
setting a date for `Bellary Chalo` programme planned by
Congress, would be finalised shortly.
KPCC president R V Dehspande and Leader of the Opposition
in the Assembly Siddaramaiah (Congress) are in Delhi attending
a meeting called by the party and the local unit is waiting
for their return to chalk out future plans of agitation.
JDS would have consultation with Congress to decide on
the next course of agitation, Revanna said.
Both the opposition parties which have a combined
strength of 101 members in the 224-member Assembly staged the
dharna since July 12 demanding CBI probe into illegal mining,
which the government rejected.
"Our demand for a CBI inquiry will continue," Jayachandra
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price