Perceptible changes needed to ensure speedy justice: CJ
Bangalore: Perceptible and visible changes are needed to ensure speedy justice, Karnataka High Court Chief Justice DH Waghela said on Friday.
"We need perceptible and visible changes to ensure speedy justice" , Chief Justice Waghela, who was sworn in as the new Chief Justice of Karnataka yesterday, said in his reply to the welcome address by the Chairman of the State Bar Council Muniyappa.
Lauding the state`s achievements, especially its capital Bangalore, the Chief Justice said "the state and the city have taken the country forward to the 21st century, especially in IT".
Waghela said the atmosphere in Karnataka High Court was "very good" and his mission was to help his colleagues in administration of justice.
He said he had high hopes from the Bar and wished to make Karnataka High Court a "a model high court in the country" and sought the cooperation of the Bar on this.
Earlier, Muniyappa recalled the long association of Karnataka High Court with judges of Gujarat High Court, remembering the contribution made by Justice SP Majumdar and Nanawati who served as former Chief Justices of the state High Court.
"We have heard a lot about your patience which is a virtue of a judge. We have very good legal fraternity here and we will extend our full cooperation", he said.
Justice Waghela succeeds Justice Vikramjit Sen as Karnataka Chief Justice. Justice Sen was appointed as a Supreme Court judge after an apex court collegium cleared his name for elevation on December 2012.
The Chief Justice post was vacant for nearly two months and senior judge K Sreedhar Rao was the acting Chief Justice.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets