Perceptible changes needed to ensure speedy justice: CJ
Bangalore: Perceptible and visible changes are needed to ensure speedy justice, Karnataka High Court Chief Justice DH Waghela said on Friday.
"We need perceptible and visible changes to ensure speedy justice" , Chief Justice Waghela, who was sworn in as the new Chief Justice of Karnataka yesterday, said in his reply to the welcome address by the Chairman of the State Bar Council Muniyappa.
Lauding the state`s achievements, especially its capital Bangalore, the Chief Justice said "the state and the city have taken the country forward to the 21st century, especially in IT".
Waghela said the atmosphere in Karnataka High Court was "very good" and his mission was to help his colleagues in administration of justice.
He said he had high hopes from the Bar and wished to make Karnataka High Court a "a model high court in the country" and sought the cooperation of the Bar on this.
Earlier, Muniyappa recalled the long association of Karnataka High Court with judges of Gujarat High Court, remembering the contribution made by Justice SP Majumdar and Nanawati who served as former Chief Justices of the state High Court.
"We have heard a lot about your patience which is a virtue of a judge. We have very good legal fraternity here and we will extend our full cooperation", he said.
Justice Waghela succeeds Justice Vikramjit Sen as Karnataka Chief Justice. Justice Sen was appointed as a Supreme Court judge after an apex court collegium cleared his name for elevation on December 2012.
The Chief Justice post was vacant for nearly two months and senior judge K Sreedhar Rao was the acting Chief Justice.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015