Petition seeks sanction to prosecute 2 former Karnataka CMs
Bangalore: A petition has been filed before Karnataka Speaker K G Bopaiah seeking sanction to prosecute former chief ministers N Dharam Singh and H D Kumaraswamy for their alleged role in facilitating illegal mining during their tenures.
Petitioner T J Abraham sought sanction to prosecute both former chief ministers under various sections of IPC and also the Prevention of Corruption Act 1988.
Abraham who filed the petition yesterday, also wanted sanction to prosecute Singh and Kumaraswamy under Section 104 and 104(c) of The Karnataka Forest Act 1963, The Forest (Conservation) Act 1980, Mines and Minerals (Development and Regulation) Act 1937.
The office of the Lok Sabha Speaker had rejected permission to prosecute Singh and Kumaraswamy, now Lok Sabha MPs, and directed him to approach the Speaker as the two former chief ministers were members of the assembly during the period of the commission of the alleged offences.
Singh represents Bidar Lok Sabha and Kumaraswamy, the Bangalore Rural constituency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- LIVE: Donald Trump takes charge as 45th President of US; Barack Obama thanks supporters