Phone records helped police crack murder case of DPS teacher
Bangalore: It was technology and
circumstantial evidence that aided the city police in cracking
the murder of a 30-year-old DPS teacher by her husband, an
"It was a call made from cell phone and circumstantial
evidence that made the police zero in on Satish Kumar Gupta,
the human resource manager, who brutally killed his wife
Priyanka," a police official told agency today.
32-year-old Gupta, arrested last night, had
strangulated his wife and finding that there was still some
life left in her slit her throat on August 10. He had
confessed to the crime after the arrest, police said.
Priyanka was found murdered at her Venkateshwara
Layout residence on Bannerghatta Road on Tuesday. The couple
were married three years ago and did not have children.
In his complaint, Gupta had stated that he received a
call from his wife on his cellphone at 5.43 am on August 10,
three minutes after he left for his jog with his friend Kishen
that two strangers posing as newspaper vendors asked about
delivering newspapers but he told her to send them back as he
had not approached anybody.
"This was the first lie as we found out through the
mobile tower location records that both Satish and Priyanka`s
cellphones were in the same location," police said.
Subsequent verification revealed Satish had also
received one more call -- from the phone of Kishen, a close
friend and jogging partner of Gupta.
When police interrogated Kishen he said he had called
Gupta around 5.20 am to inform that he could not come for the
jog as he had to take his mother for a yoga session but the
latter insisted saying they could start early and disperse
early to which Kishen acceded and joined Satish.
After murdering his wife, Gupta had made a call to his
own phone using her mobile. After this, he received a call
During the course of their jogging, Satish had
pretended to receive his wife`s call informing him about the
newspaper vendors and replied aloud in the hope that he could
use Kishen as an alibi to prove his innocence, but the call
records brought out the truth.
The other clues that gave Gupta away was going for a
jog in his leather shoes instead of sports shoes and carrying
his Infoysys identity card and punching the card while going
"When we posed these questions to him, he was
flustered and was not able to answer," they said.
Police also found a pair of blood stained sports shoes
near Priyanka`s body.
Besides, the fact that Gupta neither made an effort to
break the window nor alerted the police or the neighbours when
he found his house door locked and did not get any response
made the police smell rat.
"Marital discord and personal differences could be the
motive behind the murder. However, the actual motive is still
to be investigated," they said.
Gupta was produced at a local court and remanded to
eight days police custody.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof