Plea to cancel Nityananda`s bail, order reserved
Bangalore: The Karnataka High Court
on Thursday posted to July 18 its orders on a petition by police
seeking cancellation of bail to spiritual guru Nityananda and
his associate, facing criminal charges including rape, for
allegedly influencing witnesses.
The CID filed the petition seeking cancellation of the
conditional bail granted to Nityananda and Nithya Bhaktananda
in June last year. When Justice Keshav Narayan, who heard the
petition, sought reasons for cancellation of bail as it
happened in rare cases and needed special reasons, the CID
submitted that the accused were influencing witnesses.
The duo were arrested on April 21, 2010 in Himachal
Pradesh after they went underground in the wake of telecast of
video footage purportedly showing Nityananda in a compromising
position with an actress. A case is pending against them in a
court in Ramanagara near here over criminal charges, including
Meanwhile, Nityananda in a separate submission in the
court said he was in a dilemma over two court orders relating
to his plea for going abroad.
He submitted that while the high court had permitted
him to visit Kailash Manas Sarovar and other countries with a
direction to surrender the passport before July 31, Ramanagara
court had fixed the deadline as July 21 and had warned of
cancelling the bail if he failed to return by that date.
Noting he filed his application seeking permission to
travel abroad three months ago, he said the process to grant
him permission took two months making it difficult to visit
He said that by fixing the deadline at July 21, the
lower court was "restricting" the high court order.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH