PMK to stage protest for caste-based census
Chennai: PMK on Friday said it would stage State-wide protests on September 28 demanding for caste-based census in Tamil Nadu.
Party president G K Mani said that PMK founder Dr S Ramadoss will lead the demonstration at Chennai and himself at Salem.
Party MLAs and other office-bearers would lead the protest in the respective districts, he said in a release here.
Following the Vanniyar Association protest in 1989, when Tamil Nadu was under Governor Rule, then Governor PC Alexander had announced conducting caste-based census for offering reservation but that was put in the backburner after elections held that year, Mr. Mani said.
No such census had been conducted in Tamil Nadu since 1931, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Manohar Parrikar asks Navy Chief to probe Scorpene-class submarines documents leak
- It's Official! LG V20 to be world’s first phone with Android 7.0 Nougat
- Is marriage on the cards for Nargis Fakhri? READ full story
- Sensex regains 28K level, up 118 points in early trade
- Sepp Blatter in last fight against six-year FIFA ban