PMK to stage protest for caste-based census
Chennai: PMK on Friday said it would stage State-wide protests on September 28 demanding for caste-based census in Tamil Nadu.
Party president G K Mani said that PMK founder Dr S Ramadoss will lead the demonstration at Chennai and himself at Salem.
Party MLAs and other office-bearers would lead the protest in the respective districts, he said in a release here.
Following the Vanniyar Association protest in 1989, when Tamil Nadu was under Governor Rule, then Governor PC Alexander had announced conducting caste-based census for offering reservation but that was put in the backburner after elections held that year, Mr. Mani said.
No such census had been conducted in Tamil Nadu since 1931, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IIT Kharagpur students design racing car to compete in Russia
- IRCTC to offer Rs 10 lakh insurance cover for Re 1
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security?
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part II
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part III
- 'India more than capable of achieving 100 Smart City goal'
- APJ Abdul Kalam's look alike pays tribute to 'Missile Man' on first death anniversary
- Bus strike enters third day in Karnataka; schools remain shut
- Myanmar rebels hold rare meet as Suu Kyi yearns for peace
- 'Arrest Satyendar Jain', Kejriwal taunts after officer's complaint