PMK to stage protest for caste-based census
Chennai: PMK on Friday said it would stage State-wide protests on September 28 demanding for caste-based census in Tamil Nadu.
Party president G K Mani said that PMK founder Dr S Ramadoss will lead the demonstration at Chennai and himself at Salem.
Party MLAs and other office-bearers would lead the protest in the respective districts, he said in a release here.
Following the Vanniyar Association protest in 1989, when Tamil Nadu was under Governor Rule, then Governor PC Alexander had announced conducting caste-based census for offering reservation but that was put in the backburner after elections held that year, Mr. Mani said.
No such census had been conducted in Tamil Nadu since 1931, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Radhe Maa dances at casino in London, claims video
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Lalu Prasad Yadav challenges Narendra Modi over 'shaitan' comment, demands PM's apology
- Ghulam Ali concert row: Subramanian Swamy hits back at Shiv Sena's critics