PMK to stage protest for caste-based census
Chennai: PMK on Friday said it would stage State-wide protests on September 28 demanding for caste-based census in Tamil Nadu.
Party president G K Mani said that PMK founder Dr S Ramadoss will lead the demonstration at Chennai and himself at Salem.
Party MLAs and other office-bearers would lead the protest in the respective districts, he said in a release here.
Following the Vanniyar Association protest in 1989, when Tamil Nadu was under Governor Rule, then Governor PC Alexander had announced conducting caste-based census for offering reservation but that was put in the backburner after elections held that year, Mr. Mani said.
No such census had been conducted in Tamil Nadu since 1931, he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India