Police begin probe into death of Manipuri student
Bangalore: Karnataka Police have begun investigations into the death of a 19-year-old Manipuri student under suspicious circumstances in his college hostel here on April 18.
"Police have begun investigations into the death of Loitam Richard. Law as per action will be taken against the guilty," Home Minister R Ashok told reporters here.
Loitam`s death had sparked protests demanding justice for him amid allegations that he was a victim of an assault by his seniors.
Two students of Acharya NRV School of Architecture, suspected to have been involved in the incident were suspended from the hostel yesterday and directed not to leave the city without police permission
Loitam, a second semester student of the college, was found dead on his hostel bed on the afternoon of April 18.
While police have maintained he died in a two-wheeler accident on April 16, his friends insist that he died due to injuries after a severe assault by seniors on April 17.
Disappointed with police handling of the case, students and activists had staged protests in Jantar Mantar in Delhi and in Town Hall in Bangalore yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Congressmen tie pigeon inside rocket to welcome their leader – A must watch for Rahul Gandhi
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'