Police begin probe into death of Manipuri student
Bangalore: Karnataka Police have begun investigations into the death of a 19-year-old Manipuri student under suspicious circumstances in his college hostel here on April 18.
"Police have begun investigations into the death of Loitam Richard. Law as per action will be taken against the guilty," Home Minister R Ashok told reporters here.
Loitam`s death had sparked protests demanding justice for him amid allegations that he was a victim of an assault by his seniors.
Two students of Acharya NRV School of Architecture, suspected to have been involved in the incident were suspended from the hostel yesterday and directed not to leave the city without police permission
Loitam, a second semester student of the college, was found dead on his hostel bed on the afternoon of April 18.
While police have maintained he died in a two-wheeler accident on April 16, his friends insist that he died due to injuries after a severe assault by seniors on April 17.
Disappointed with police handling of the case, students and activists had staged protests in Jantar Mantar in Delhi and in Town Hall in Bangalore yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16