Police fire in air to disperse violent crowd
Bijapur (Karnataka): Police fired 12 rounds in the air to disperse a 200-strong crowd which attacked a police station at Sindagi, 60 kms from here, over a case.
Three police personnel were injured when the mob pelted stones and started ransacking the police station, Additional Superintendent of Police F S Tragar said. The injured have been hospitalised.
The crowd, supporters of one Gopinath Pawar of Nagavi Tanda, was demanding that his wife, brought to the police station after she had gone missing three days ago, be sent back with them. The woman had refused to go back with her husband, Tragar said.
As the police sent her to Bijapur, the enraged people started attacking the police station.
Police fired in the air after lathicharge failed to bring the crowd under control, he said.
Fifteen persons were taken into custody and the situation was brought under control, he said, adding that Superintendent of Police Ajay Hilori is camping at the spot.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news