Police fire in air to disperse violent crowd
Bijapur (Karnataka): Police fired 12 rounds in the air to disperse a 200-strong crowd which attacked a police station at Sindagi, 60 kms from here, over a case.
Three police personnel were injured when the mob pelted stones and started ransacking the police station, Additional Superintendent of Police F S Tragar said. The injured have been hospitalised.
The crowd, supporters of one Gopinath Pawar of Nagavi Tanda, was demanding that his wife, brought to the police station after she had gone missing three days ago, be sent back with them. The woman had refused to go back with her husband, Tragar said.
As the police sent her to Bijapur, the enraged people started attacking the police station.
Police fired in the air after lathicharge failed to bring the crowd under control, he said.
Fifteen persons were taken into custody and the situation was brought under control, he said, adding that Superintendent of Police Ajay Hilori is camping at the spot.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intermediate Examination (Arts) Result 2016 will be declared today on 29th May 2016 at 2:00 pm
- Class 10th (Matric) Exam Result 2016 will be declared today on 29th May 2016 at 12: 00 pm
- Putin vows Russian retaliation over US missile shield in Europe
- More than 2,000 boat migrants rescued off Italy, 45 dead
- Trump rules out US presidential debate with Sanders