Police fire in air to disperse violent crowd
Bijapur (Karnataka): Police fired 12 rounds in the air to disperse a 200-strong crowd which attacked a police station at Sindagi, 60 kms from here, over a case.
Three police personnel were injured when the mob pelted stones and started ransacking the police station, Additional Superintendent of Police F S Tragar said. The injured have been hospitalised.
The crowd, supporters of one Gopinath Pawar of Nagavi Tanda, was demanding that his wife, brought to the police station after she had gone missing three days ago, be sent back with them. The woman had refused to go back with her husband, Tragar said.
As the police sent her to Bijapur, the enraged people started attacking the police station.
Police fired in the air after lathicharge failed to bring the crowd under control, he said.
Fifteen persons were taken into custody and the situation was brought under control, he said, adding that Superintendent of Police Ajay Hilori is camping at the spot.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!