Police fire in air to disperse violent crowd
Bijapur (Karnataka): Police fired 12 rounds in the air to disperse a 200-strong crowd which attacked a police station at Sindagi, 60 kms from here, over a case.
Three police personnel were injured when the mob pelted stones and started ransacking the police station, Additional Superintendent of Police F S Tragar said. The injured have been hospitalised.
The crowd, supporters of one Gopinath Pawar of Nagavi Tanda, was demanding that his wife, brought to the police station after she had gone missing three days ago, be sent back with them. The woman had refused to go back with her husband, Tragar said.
As the police sent her to Bijapur, the enraged people started attacking the police station.
Police fired in the air after lathicharge failed to bring the crowd under control, he said.
Fifteen persons were taken into custody and the situation was brought under control, he said, adding that Superintendent of Police Ajay Hilori is camping at the spot.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city