Police foil jail break attempt in Hubli
Hubli: Violence on Friday erupted in a
sub-jail here as inmates clashed with security personnel
and made a vain bid to escape, leaving 27 prisoners and 24
police personnel injured.
ADGP Prisons Kuchchanna Srinivas told reporters that
some prisoners went on a rampage and indulged in stone pelting
to protest the shifting of two undertrials from the jail to
Gulbarga this morning.
When police forces rushed in, the inmates pelted
stones and even sprinkled chilly powder on their faces, which
they had taken from the jail kitchen, Srinivas said.
The supporters of Rajani Bijwad and Durgappa Bijwad,
who were arrested on charge of murdering a person in
October last in the city and currently lodged in the sub-jail,
also gathered outside the jail premises and indulged in
violence, forcing police to cane charge them.
Rajani, who has been injured, has been shifted to a
hospital here and Durgappa has been moved to Gulbarga,
Taking advantage of the trouble, some inmates tried to
escape, but police foiled their attempt, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China's manufacturing activity expands at slower pace
- 'Impose stock limit on importers to curb pulses prices'
- India, China armies vow to enhance cordial relations, maintain peace along LAC at border meet
- Save up to 20% in peak hotel rates by booking in advance
- Russia, US in bids to halt fighting in Syria's Aleppo