Police get clues in Manipal varsity gang-rape case
Bangalore: Police on Saturday claimed to have got some leads on the persons who allegedly gang-raped a medical student in Manipal University campus and hoped to arrest them soon even as Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah ordered immediate tracing of the culprits.
"We have already instructed the police to trace the accused immediately and take stringent action against them," he told reporters.
The 22-year old student from Kerala was allegedly kidnapped in Manipal University campus late night on Thursday as she was returning to her room from the library and gang raped. The victim, who suffered a fracture in the legs and injuries on her hands and neck, is recovering.
Siddaramaiah said Home Minister K J George would visit Manipal near here tomorrow and inspect the place where the offence took place. "The Home Minister will also meet the victim and initiate necessary action," he added.
Police had also been instructed to provide adequate security to students studying and staying in Manipal University campus, Siddaramaiah said.
Udupi Superintendent of Police Dr Boralingaiah said the culprits would be arrested soon as police had obtained `some leads` on the incident that has triggered protests from students.
Boralingaiah said eight police teams have been working on the leads and hoped to crack the case soon.
In the morning, hundreds of students, braving rains, took to the streets to protest against the incident and demanded immediate arrest of the culprits.
The protest was led by Akhila Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad and other student organizations like `Campus Front of India` and `Girls Islamic Organisation".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report