‘Political manoeuvring behind Acharya’s resignation`
Bangalore: Former Karnataka Lokayukta Justice N Santosh Hegde on Thursday alleged "some political manoeuvering" had forced Advocate General BV Acharya to quit as Special Public Prosecutor in the disproportionate assets case against
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa.
Acharya reportedly said yesterday he had been under pressure from the state government to resign from the position of SPP contending that he could not continue in two posts. He chose to resign from the post of Advocate General, and
continue as SPP.
"He was holding two posts. I certainly don`t find anything wrong in it," Hegde told a news agency here.
"Basically, the Karnataka government knew that he was holding this post (of SPP since 2004) and they offered the Advocate General`s post to him (in August last year) without asking him to resign from the other post," Hegde, a former Supreme Court judge, pointed out. "Now, to raise all sorts of objections obviously some political manoeuvring is going on."
He said the Government should now come forward and give the reason for exerting pressure on Acharya to quit. Hegde refused to give his reaction to the porn scandal
involving three BJP MLAs, who had to quit as ministers following the incident, saying it`s "too indecent" for him to comment.
"Where are we going? If these are the people who are our leaders then are we to follow them in the same manner?" he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price