POSCO not to come up without farmers` consent: CM
Hubli: Karnataka Chief Minister BS Yeddyurappa on Friday said the Rs 30,000 crore steel project by Korean major Posco will not come up in Gadag district without farmers` consent.
The Posco project will not be set up against the wishes of the farmers, he said.
He directed Gadag Deputy Commissioner Shankar Narayan to submit a letter in this regard to Tontadarya Mutt seer Siddalinga Swamiji spearheading the agitation in the district against the Posco project.
"I do not wish to go against the wishes of the farmers and the swamiji as I am a pro-farmers man. As such there will be no Posco steel plant in Gadag district and I am not acquiring fertile farmlands for the purpose", Yeddyurappa, who arrived
here to attend the two-day BJP state executive meet, told
He reiterated that only if the seers and farmers arrived at a "consenus" on setting up of the project, he would consider its (project`s) implementation in the district.
Following protests by farmers and opposition, Yeddyurappa had said yesterday his government will announce in two days its decision on the location of the project.
He had earlier said there was no re-rethinking on the part of the government to relocate the Posco project from Gadag to another district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state