Premji calls for citizens` movement against garbage problem
Bangalore: IT czar Azim Premji on Friday exhorted Bangaloreans to spearhead a citizens` movement and stage protests against non-clearance of tonnes of garbage rotting on the streets.
"I think there should be a strong citizens` movement for this; you agitate. It`s ruining your health, it`s ruining the health of your parents and it`s ruining the health of your children," the Wipro chairman said.
Premji, while speaking to reporters here, expressed concern over the "amount of viral fever which is going around in Bangalore" and waste materials being released into lakes, causing pollution.
"I think it`s a very serious problem," he said.
He said there are pollution-reforming and pollution- control machineries, but three-fourth of them do not work.
The waste is entirely released into the river, part of which is used for drinking water purposes, he said, adding, in many parts of the city, the "dump" (garbage) is now extending to the streets.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog