Premji calls for citizens` movement against garbage problem
Bangalore: IT czar Azim Premji on Friday exhorted Bangaloreans to spearhead a citizens` movement and stage protests against non-clearance of tonnes of garbage rotting on the streets.
"I think there should be a strong citizens` movement for this; you agitate. It`s ruining your health, it`s ruining the health of your parents and it`s ruining the health of your children," the Wipro chairman said.
Premji, while speaking to reporters here, expressed concern over the "amount of viral fever which is going around in Bangalore" and waste materials being released into lakes, causing pollution.
"I think it`s a very serious problem," he said.
He said there are pollution-reforming and pollution- control machineries, but three-fourth of them do not work.
The waste is entirely released into the river, part of which is used for drinking water purposes, he said, adding, in many parts of the city, the "dump" (garbage) is now extending to the streets.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- Oil falls amid supply glut, lower prospects of output freeze
- UN verified Dawood's Pak addresses, wife, father's name, aliases; high time it extradites him: MEA
- Injured Cristiano Ronaldo absent from Portugal squad for World Cup 2018 qualifying round
- Rio Olympics 2016: Five Indian athletes who redefined 'woman power'
- Govt wants unions to reconsider their strike plan