Premji calls for citizens` movement against garbage problem
Bangalore: IT czar Azim Premji on Friday exhorted Bangaloreans to spearhead a citizens` movement and stage protests against non-clearance of tonnes of garbage rotting on the streets.
"I think there should be a strong citizens` movement for this; you agitate. It`s ruining your health, it`s ruining the health of your parents and it`s ruining the health of your children," the Wipro chairman said.
Premji, while speaking to reporters here, expressed concern over the "amount of viral fever which is going around in Bangalore" and waste materials being released into lakes, causing pollution.
"I think it`s a very serious problem," he said.
He said there are pollution-reforming and pollution- control machineries, but three-fourth of them do not work.
The waste is entirely released into the river, part of which is used for drinking water purposes, he said, adding, in many parts of the city, the "dump" (garbage) is now extending to the streets.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire