Premji calls for citizens` movement against garbage problem
Bangalore: IT czar Azim Premji on Friday exhorted Bangaloreans to spearhead a citizens` movement and stage protests against non-clearance of tonnes of garbage rotting on the streets.
"I think there should be a strong citizens` movement for this; you agitate. It`s ruining your health, it`s ruining the health of your parents and it`s ruining the health of your children," the Wipro chairman said.
Premji, while speaking to reporters here, expressed concern over the "amount of viral fever which is going around in Bangalore" and waste materials being released into lakes, causing pollution.
"I think it`s a very serious problem," he said.
He said there are pollution-reforming and pollution- control machineries, but three-fourth of them do not work.
The waste is entirely released into the river, part of which is used for drinking water purposes, he said, adding, in many parts of the city, the "dump" (garbage) is now extending to the streets.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- Ryan child death: Sexual assault allegations should be probed, says Manish Sisodia
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India