President calls for better delivery of welfare schemes
Hyderabad: President Pratibha Patil Monday called for making delivery systems more effective and non-corrupt to ensure that the benefits of welfare programmes reach all segments of society.
Inaugurating the 500th year of the coronation of Vijayanagara ruler Sri Krishnadevaraya here, she said modern day rulers and policymakers could draw many lessons from the legacy of one of the great monarchs of India.
"Today India is one of the fastest growing economies of the world and is counted among major global players. Our endeavour is that progress reaches all segments of society, in particular the marginalised and disadvantaged," she said.
"We have huge amounts of social welfare and other schemes for inclusive growth. Our delivery system must be geared up and made more effective and non-corrupt so that the benefits of welfare programmes reach them," she said.
She called for imparting skills to the marginalised and disadvantaged so that they become empowered citizens participating in various nation-building activities.
The President also called for developing villages into progressive economic units. "Seventy percent of our population still lives in rural areas. We must focus on undertaking rural development in a manner that villages become progressive economic units and agricultural productivity is increased," she said.
Patil also underscored the need to promote commerce and industry. "In a globalised world trade and ICT are becoming increasingly important. Knowledge and innovation are keys for the future. India has proved its leadership in the ICT sector and with skilled manpower it must persist with efforts to sustain it."
She said growing urbanisation required adopting management techniques to ensure that cities are liveable and have the necessary civic amenities, including proper management of waste.
The president unveiled a statue of Sri Krishnadevaraya. Andhra Pradesh Governor ESL Narasimhan, Chief Minister K Rosaiah and his cabinet colleagues were also present.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges - Part II
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges - Part III
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter - Part II
- Arjun Tendulkar included in U-16 West Zone team for inter-zonal tourney
- Camry Hybrid, Ciaz, Ertiga to cost less in Delhi after VAT cut
- In Pics: Remember 'Hip Hip Hurray'? This is what its star-cast looks like now!
- Champions League final goal like losing virginity – Sergio Ramos
- Madhur Bhandarkar takes expert advice from Subramanian Swamy for film on emergency? View pics