President calls for better delivery of welfare schemes
Hyderabad: President Pratibha Patil Monday called for making delivery systems more effective and non-corrupt to ensure that the benefits of welfare programmes reach all segments of society.
Inaugurating the 500th year of the coronation of Vijayanagara ruler Sri Krishnadevaraya here, she said modern day rulers and policymakers could draw many lessons from the legacy of one of the great monarchs of India.
"Today India is one of the fastest growing economies of the world and is counted among major global players. Our endeavour is that progress reaches all segments of society, in particular the marginalised and disadvantaged," she said.
"We have huge amounts of social welfare and other schemes for inclusive growth. Our delivery system must be geared up and made more effective and non-corrupt so that the benefits of welfare programmes reach them," she said.
She called for imparting skills to the marginalised and disadvantaged so that they become empowered citizens participating in various nation-building activities.
The President also called for developing villages into progressive economic units. "Seventy percent of our population still lives in rural areas. We must focus on undertaking rural development in a manner that villages become progressive economic units and agricultural productivity is increased," she said.
Patil also underscored the need to promote commerce and industry. "In a globalised world trade and ICT are becoming increasingly important. Knowledge and innovation are keys for the future. India has proved its leadership in the ICT sector and with skilled manpower it must persist with efforts to sustain it."
She said growing urbanisation required adopting management techniques to ensure that cities are liveable and have the necessary civic amenities, including proper management of waste.
The president unveiled a statue of Sri Krishnadevaraya. Andhra Pradesh Governor ESL Narasimhan, Chief Minister K Rosaiah and his cabinet colleagues were also present.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid