Prez stresses on strengthening foundation of education
Bijapur (Ktk): If India is to join the ranks of advanced nations, it must strengthen the foundation of education, President Pranab Mukherjee on Tuesday said.
Addressing the Golden Jubilee Celebrations of Sainik School, Bijapur, the President also said a good education always includes building of character.
He bemoaned the deviation from civilizational values which can be often seen in our society and called upon school authorities to do their utmost to inculcate in young men and women core civilizational values such as discipline, compassion, tolerance, respect for the opinion of others, regard for their rights and a high sense of duty to the nation.
Speaking about the contribution of the Bijapur Sainik School where boys belonging to different states were living together, he said Sainik Schools were the result of the far-sighted planning and leadership of stalwarts like former Defence Ministers V K Krishna Menon, Y B Chavan, then Chief Minister of Karnataka, S Nijalingappa and then Union Education Minister, K L Shrimali.
The President expressed hope that the Sainik School students would naturally develop a more open approach to the linguistic, regional and religious diversity of the country and respect it.
Noting that the achievement of an educational institution was measured by the success of its alumni, he said, the Bijapur Sainik School had rendered a great service to the nation by its outstanding products to the military-young men who have shaped into exemplary individuals.
He also said that the Central and State Government services have selected, with confidence, dozens of Sainik school products who are, today, ably engaged in nation building.
Earlier, the President inaugurated an indoor stadium constructed to mark the Golden Jubilee of the school.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu