Prez to open Karna`s second legislature complex in Belgaum
Belgaum: President Pranab Mukherjee will inaugurate the `Suvarna Soudha` on Thursday, a Rs 400 crore second legislature complex here, amid objections by some political parties in Maharashtra citing the boundary dispute between Karnataka and its neighbouring state.
The construction of Suvarna Soudha built on the similar lines of the state Secretariat Vidhana Soudha in Bangalore is considered a symbolic assertion of Karnataka`s long-held position that Belgaum is an integral part of the state.
Maharashtra claims that Belgaum belongs to it but Karnataka has maintained the issue had been settled long time ago when the central-government appointed Mahajan Commission in its report in August 1967 had categorically stated that the city was part of Karnataka.
Maharashtra Minister and NCP leader Chhagan Bhujbal and Shiv Sena executive president Uddhav Thackeray have appealed to the President not to inaugurate the Suvarna Soudha, holding that his participation would mean the Centre was sidelining their state`s rights over the "Marathi-dominated areas".
After inaugurating the Suvarna Soudha, which houses the bi-cameral legislature and the Secretariat, Mukherjee would address a joint session of the Assembly and Council.
With pro-Maharashtra outfits including Maharashtra Ekikaran Samiti (MES) deciding to stage protests against Mukherjee`s visit to inaugurate the building, elaborate security arrangements have been made by police.
While the proposal to build a legislature building in Belgaum to counter Maharashtra`s claim to the area had been mooted several years ago, the project gained momentum during JDS-BJP coalition government led by H D Kumaraswamy in 2007.
The first special session of legislature outside Bangalore was held in Belgaum in September 2006.
Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar today said the government proposed to hold a legislature session in the Suvarna Soudha in the last week of November or first week of December.
The Suvarna Soudha is a three-floored structure spread over 16,138 sq.M and consists of an Assembly hall that seats 300, a Council hall for 100 members, a 450-seat auditorium, 38 ministerial chambers and 14 meeting halls.
The President would also confer Jnanapeet Award to renowned Kannada literary personality Chandrasehkar Kambar and attend the Bhoomi Pujan of the Swami Vivekananda Value Education and Cultural Centre here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks