Private resorts in vicinity of sanctuaries to be shut: Karnataka Government
Bangalore: Karnataka Government has decided to order closure of all private commercial resorts located in the vicinity of wildlife sanctuaries in the state to curb harmful effects on forests and wildlife.
It was also decided to shut all the Forest Department`s guest-houses located inside forests in the state, Minister for Forest C P Yogeeshwara, who held a meeting with department officials on Monday, told reporters here.
New guest-houses would be built outside the forests for carrying out administrative and other works of the department, the Minister said.
There was a huge demand for accommodation in forest guest-houses from relatives of IFS officers and other higher level officials.
Notices would be served on owners of all existing private resorts to close their operations since they have been causing harmful effects on forests and wildlife, Yogeeshwara said.
To take advantage of tourists visiting wildlife sanctuaries, particularly tiger reserves, resorts have come up in the vicinity of reserved forest areas. Private parties have illegally constructed 30 resorts by encroaching forest areas.
The Department’s Principal Secretary would tour wildlife sanctuaries and formulate guidelines to restrict movement of tourists and vehicles inside tiger reserves, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you