Probe complaint against Sonia on Telangana issue: Court to cops
Hyderabad: A court in Andhra Pradesh on Monday directed the police to probe allegations brought against Congress President Sonia Gandhi in a complaint which says she "cheated" the people of Telangana on the statehood issue.
Acting on a private complaint filed against Gandhi by state BJP leader Satish Agarwal in a court in January this year, the Malkajgiri Court (in Ranga Reddy district) near here asked the police to investigate it and submit a report.
In the petition, the BJP`s State Executive Committee member said the Congress, in its manifesto before the 2004 general elections, had promised to carve a separate Telangana state out of Andhra Pradesh.
Gandhi, too, had promised Telangana state at a public meeting in Karimnagar district during an election campaign in 2004, Agarwal said.
But despite the Congress coming to power (at the Centre and in Andhra Pradesh), the announcement of a decision on Telangana creation was being prolonged, he said.
The Congress leaders gave a commitment on granting statehood to the backward region of Andhra Pradesh but the promise has not been fulfilled yet, the BJP leader said.
Gandhi was solely responsible for the delay, which has resulted in a spate of suicides in the region, he had claimed.
Agarwal had alleged Gandhi "cheated" the people of Telangana with her statements on the statehood issue and sought the court`s direction to the police to investigate into his complaint and file a case against her.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015