Probe illegal export of K`tka ore via Goa: Hegde
Panaji: Former Karnataka Lokayukta Justice
Santosh Hegde has asked the Goa government to investigate who
was responsible for allowing ore from the neighbouring state to
be illegally exported through its ports.
Hegde said that almost 45 lakh tonnes of ore was exported
through Mormugao Port Trust (MPT), a port in South Goa.
"The ore which was being brought under pretext of
consumption for local units was being exported through the
port illegally," he alleged.
According to Hegde, this could not have been possible
without the involvement of local people.
"This cannot happen innocently. This has been done in
collusion with the locals. It is for the Goa government to
investigate into who were these people who allowed the ore to
be exported," Hegde said, adding that the Karnataka Lokayukta
has no clue or information on Goan officers involved in
He said the illegal exports were evident from the fact
that ore of 62-64 Degree Ferrous content was exported from Goa
"Goa does not have such a high grade ore. So the question
is from where the ore has come, and we say that it has come
from Karnataka," said Hegde, who led the Committee to prepare
the report on illegal iron ore mining in Karnataka.
Hegde`s report had indicted then Karnataka Chief Minister
BS Yeddyurappa and others for carrying out mining activities
"Its not difficult for Goa to investigate into the
illegalities as there are proper permits issued while ore is
brought in from across the border. Every lot of ore brought in
has certain identification," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves