Probe illegal export of K`tka ore via Goa: Hegde
Panaji: Former Karnataka Lokayukta Justice
Santosh Hegde has asked the Goa government to investigate who
was responsible for allowing ore from the neighbouring state to
be illegally exported through its ports.
Hegde said that almost 45 lakh tonnes of ore was exported
through Mormugao Port Trust (MPT), a port in South Goa.
"The ore which was being brought under pretext of
consumption for local units was being exported through the
port illegally," he alleged.
According to Hegde, this could not have been possible
without the involvement of local people.
"This cannot happen innocently. This has been done in
collusion with the locals. It is for the Goa government to
investigate into who were these people who allowed the ore to
be exported," Hegde said, adding that the Karnataka Lokayukta
has no clue or information on Goan officers involved in
He said the illegal exports were evident from the fact
that ore of 62-64 Degree Ferrous content was exported from Goa
"Goa does not have such a high grade ore. So the question
is from where the ore has come, and we say that it has come
from Karnataka," said Hegde, who led the Committee to prepare
the report on illegal iron ore mining in Karnataka.
Hegde`s report had indicted then Karnataka Chief Minister
BS Yeddyurappa and others for carrying out mining activities
"Its not difficult for Goa to investigate into the
illegalities as there are proper permits issued while ore is
brought in from across the border. Every lot of ore brought in
has certain identification," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days