Protest marches in Karnataka
Bangalore: Emotions ran high in parts of Karnataka following the death of the Delhi gang-rape victim with people, particularly women, demanding stringent punishment including death penalty, for the perpetrators of the crime.
As the news of the tragic end of the 23-year-old para-medical student, who was undergoing treatment in a hospital in Singapore, spread, girls of various colleges took out a protest march and mourned the death.
In Bangalore, students of women colleges were in tears while expressing their ire over the rape. BJP`s women wing also staged protests demanding immediate punishment to the rapists.
BJP spokesperson Nirmala Sitaraman urged the Centre to enact strict laws to ensure safety of women and also the laws should act as deterrent to rapists.
Some mourners, who participated in a candle light march in Mandya, Haveri, Mysore, Bellary and other places, said the culprits should be punished in public, while others advocated capital punishment.
Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar, who is touring in Bagalkot, expressed grief over the girl`s death. Karnataka Janata Party President B S Yeddyurappa also mourned the death of the girl and said a situation in which women can move around fearlessly, should be created in the country.
Steps should be taken to ensure that the Delhi incident did not recur, he said.
Karnataka Home Minister R Ashok said in Hospet that the state government was contemplating slapping provisions of the stringent Anti-Goonda act against rapists.
Gangrape incidents have been reported in Bangalore City few months ago and in Hassan recently. In both the incidents, the culprits have been arrested.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...