Protest marches in Karnataka
Bangalore: Emotions ran high in parts of Karnataka following the death of the Delhi gang-rape victim with people, particularly women, demanding stringent punishment including death penalty, for the perpetrators of the crime.
As the news of the tragic end of the 23-year-old para-medical student, who was undergoing treatment in a hospital in Singapore, spread, girls of various colleges took out a protest march and mourned the death.
In Bangalore, students of women colleges were in tears while expressing their ire over the rape. BJP`s women wing also staged protests demanding immediate punishment to the rapists.
BJP spokesperson Nirmala Sitaraman urged the Centre to enact strict laws to ensure safety of women and also the laws should act as deterrent to rapists.
Some mourners, who participated in a candle light march in Mandya, Haveri, Mysore, Bellary and other places, said the culprits should be punished in public, while others advocated capital punishment.
Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar, who is touring in Bagalkot, expressed grief over the girl`s death. Karnataka Janata Party President B S Yeddyurappa also mourned the death of the girl and said a situation in which women can move around fearlessly, should be created in the country.
Steps should be taken to ensure that the Delhi incident did not recur, he said.
Karnataka Home Minister R Ashok said in Hospet that the state government was contemplating slapping provisions of the stringent Anti-Goonda act against rapists.
Gangrape incidents have been reported in Bangalore City few months ago and in Hassan recently. In both the incidents, the culprits have been arrested.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!