Protests in parts of Karnataka over denial of ministership
Bangalore: Protests broke out in parts of Karnataka on Saturday as supporters of Congress leaders who failed to get berth in Cabinet expansion effected by Chief Minister Siddaramaiah vented their anger.
In the district headquarters town of Yadgir, Congress workers ransacked the party office and set fire to windows over denial of ministership to senior leader AB Maalaka Reddy, police said.
In Ramanagara and Mandya, they held a dharna demanding that DK Shivakumar, former working president of Karnataka Pradesh Congress Committee, be included in the ministry.
A supporter of Tanveer Sait sought to set himself ablaze in Mysore, where Congress workers also staged a demonstration.
Senior leader Motamma, former Leader of Opposition in the Legislative Council, ex-CWC member and a strong contender for the berth, stayed away from the swearing-in ceremony at Raj Bhavan.
MLC Veeranna Mathikatti said at least five MLCs should have been made ministers. None of the MLCs have been made ministers.
Several districts went unrepresented in the ministry, and a section of Congressmen there made no secret of their disappointment.
In Bangalore, a number of supporters of Shivakumar from his constituency Kanakapura, staged protest in front of former external affairs minister SM Krishna`s residence, demanding that he appeal to the Congress High Command to ensure that their leader gets a Cabinet berth.
As the situation was about to turn volatile, Krishna`s wife Prema Krishna came outside and appealed to the supporters not to resort to any violence and said that the matter would be taken up with the High Command, police said.
The supporters then dispersed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31