Psycho Shankar: How the serial rapist was caught
Zee Media Bureau/Himanshu Kapoor
Bangalore: After a sensational escape from a high-security prison in Bangalore by notorious criminal Jaishankar alias psycho Shankar, one of the biggest ever manhunt was launched spreading across several states. Finally, on Friday the serial killer and rapist was arrested after being on the run for six days.
On September 1, Jaishankar, considered a psychopath, made a dramatic escape from the prison using a bamboo pole and bed-sheet to scale the walls, which stunned the police.
As the frantic search for Jaishankar began, the police announced a reward of Rs five lakh for information on his whereabouts.
With the announcement of the reward came a slew of false alerts about the man in pursuit. The Bangalore police was flummoxed by the numerous alerts, all of which later turned out to be false.
They got reports of him being sighted in wine shop, asking for a lift from a lorry driver, and that he was seen sleeping on a footpath. The officers were baffled by the reports and wondered how could was he sighted at different places and at the same time. The police suspected that the fugitive had injured his leg during his dare-devil escape as there was blood on the outer side of the prison wall, which could have restricted his movement.
Now, with the special team in place, the wild-goose chase began. Police sources said that Jaishankar was hiding near the prison and had plans to flee the area. The police also had set up informants after carefully studying his previous cases and thought-out what he could possibly have done after escaping prison.
Then on Friday, after being on the run for six days, Jaishankar`s luck ran out. One of the police informant got in touch with him and asked him to come near Kudlu gate on Bangalore-Hosur highway where the psychopath hid himself. The police was tipped of his location and that`s when his arrest was made.
As many as 12 cases of rape and murder, and seven rape cases have been lodged against him in Tamil Nadu alone. He had also kidnapped Jayamani, 39, a woman police constable on duty near Perumallur, raped her several times and killed her. Though the incident took place in August of 2009, the police recovered her body only a month later.
Three wardens, two jailors and six security guards, who were on duty when he escaped, were suspended from service. They still haven`t got a clean chit from the Bangalore police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore