Quit office, Devegowda tells Karnataka CM, Speaker
Bangalore: Former Prime Minister HD
Devegowda on Tuesday demanded the resignation of Karnataka Chief
Minister BS Yeddyurappa and Assembly Speaker KG Bopaiah in
view of the Supreme Court verdict quashing disqualification of
16 MLAs, including 11 BJP rebels.
The JDS supremo said after the Supreme Court passed
"strictures" against the Speaker, he had no moral right to
continue in office.
He said the apex court in its order had also referred to
"how the Chief Minister used the Speaker" to manipulate the
Vote of Confidence on October 11 last year to save his
government and demanded that he too quit office.
In this background, the ruling BJP should elect a new
legislative party leader, Devegowda said.
He said BJP "went to the extent" of trying to "humiliate"
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in Parliament over 2G, CWG and
Adarsh scams but was adopting "double standards" when it came
to the charges faced by Yeddyurappa by not acting against him.
"The Governor has taken the right decision," Devegowda
said on HR Bhardwaj recommending to the Centre to impose
President`s Rule. "The Governor has acted within the ambit of
He pointed out that ten of the 11 BJP rebels who had
demanded the change of Yeddyurappa`s leadership since October
last year have suddenly made a "U-turn" and are now referring
to the Chief Minister as an "angel." "What`s the deal (between
the BJP and these MLAs?" he wanted to know.
Devegowda lashed out at the BJP for indulging in
"Operation Lotus" under which it wooed opposition MLAs to quit
their seats and cross over to the ruling party by offering
ministerial posts or heads of state-run Boards or corporations
and hefty special grants for their constituencies ever since
it came to power.
He termed the phenomenon "cancerous disease" which must be
put an end to.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Mumbai: Woman pushed off from running local train by robbers
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security