Raids at Swami Nithyananda’s Madurai Mutt
Chennai: Spelling more trouble for controversial godman Swami Nithyananda, the authorities on Tuesday conducted raids at his 1500-year-old Saivaite Mutt, Madurai Adheenam to check whether there are any tiger skins and elephant tusks in its premises.
Nithyananda was recently anointed the Junior Pontiff of this mutt.
The raids come days after he was booked by the Madurai Police under the Wildlife Protection Act 1972 following a complaint that he was seen seated on tiger skins spread over elephant tusks.
The police took this action on the basis of a complaint given by Solai Kannan, a member of the Hindu Makkal Katchi.
The petitioner alleged that he saw Swami Nithyananda seated on tiger skins spread over elephant tusks, at the Madurai mutt.
Police also booked former actress Ranjitha and a woman PRO under the same case as both were reportedly present in the mutt at that time.
The petitioner has also alleged that he was served a drink that made him uncomfortable; that he was asked to dance to an English tune by Swami Nithyananda and his team at the mutt.
Nithyananda`s secretaries have not responded to the police raids at the Madurai Adheenam Mutt.
The controversial Godman is also facing allegations of sexual abuse but he got a reprieve from a Karnataka court in the Ashram attack case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indus era at least 8,000 years old, not 5,500; culminated due to climate change!
- Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, Sunny Leone, Taapsee Pannu – Stars who donned the purple colour in elan!
- 'Get fit in style'! Shraddha Kapoor stuns in casual too!
- Three in three! Shane Watson has never lost T20 final in his first season with team
- It's a wrap for Vidya Balan-Arjun Rampal's 'Kahaani 2'!