Railway Budget disappointing for Karnataka: CM
Bangalore: Karnataka Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar on Tuesday termed the Railway Budget as `disappointing` as it did not include most of the projects proposed by the state government and flayed the hike in freight rates.
Shettar criticised the hike in freight charges saying, "it will lead to price rise, burdening the common man".
"Karnataka is the only state, providing land and sharing 50 per cent of the cost of new railway projects. In spite of this, it is regrettable that the state`s demands have been sidelined," he said.
Out of the seven new railway projects requested by Karnataka, only Gadag-Wadi, Srinivaspur-Madanpalli and Chikkaballapur-Puttaparti lines have been approved, he said.
Though a few trains have been extended, it was more beneficial to the other states as the distance extended was very short.
"On the whole, instead of addressing our earlier grievance, Union Railway Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal has done further injustice to Karnataka," Shettar said.
Union Minister for Petroleum M Veerappa Moily, however, described the budget "as the best under the circumstances" and hailed the approval of two new projects in his constituency.
Moily thanked Bansal for introducing the weekly Bangalore-Mangalore Express.
KPCC President G Parameshwara also welcomed the railway budget.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest