Railway Budget disappointing for Karnataka: CM
Bangalore: Karnataka Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar on Tuesday termed the Railway Budget as `disappointing` as it did not include most of the projects proposed by the state government and flayed the hike in freight rates.
Shettar criticised the hike in freight charges saying, "it will lead to price rise, burdening the common man".
"Karnataka is the only state, providing land and sharing 50 per cent of the cost of new railway projects. In spite of this, it is regrettable that the state`s demands have been sidelined," he said.
Out of the seven new railway projects requested by Karnataka, only Gadag-Wadi, Srinivaspur-Madanpalli and Chikkaballapur-Puttaparti lines have been approved, he said.
Though a few trains have been extended, it was more beneficial to the other states as the distance extended was very short.
"On the whole, instead of addressing our earlier grievance, Union Railway Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal has done further injustice to Karnataka," Shettar said.
Union Minister for Petroleum M Veerappa Moily, however, described the budget "as the best under the circumstances" and hailed the approval of two new projects in his constituency.
Moily thanked Bansal for introducing the weekly Bangalore-Mangalore Express.
KPCC President G Parameshwara also welcomed the railway budget.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack