Railway Budget disappointing for Karnataka: CM
Bangalore: Karnataka Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar on Tuesday termed the Railway Budget as `disappointing` as it did not include most of the projects proposed by the state government and flayed the hike in freight rates.
Shettar criticised the hike in freight charges saying, "it will lead to price rise, burdening the common man".
"Karnataka is the only state, providing land and sharing 50 per cent of the cost of new railway projects. In spite of this, it is regrettable that the state`s demands have been sidelined," he said.
Out of the seven new railway projects requested by Karnataka, only Gadag-Wadi, Srinivaspur-Madanpalli and Chikkaballapur-Puttaparti lines have been approved, he said.
Though a few trains have been extended, it was more beneficial to the other states as the distance extended was very short.
"On the whole, instead of addressing our earlier grievance, Union Railway Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal has done further injustice to Karnataka," Shettar said.
Union Minister for Petroleum M Veerappa Moily, however, described the budget "as the best under the circumstances" and hailed the approval of two new projects in his constituency.
Moily thanked Bansal for introducing the weekly Bangalore-Mangalore Express.
KPCC President G Parameshwara also welcomed the railway budget.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video