Rains, lightning strikes claim 19 lives in Karnataka
Bangalore: At least 19 people have died
in lightning strikes and house collapses triggered by
pre-monsoon rains in various parts of Karnataka in the past
four days, officials on Friday said.
While lightning claimed 16 lives, house collapses due
to heavy rains left three persons dead, revenue officials
Two persons working in a farm in Dyvarahalli in
Bangalore Rural district were struck dead by lightning today.
Hassan district accounted for maximum of three deaths
due to lightning strikes followed by Bangalore Rural, Shimoga,
Chamarajanagar and Haveri (two each) and Ramanagara, Bellary,
Bagalkot, Dharwad and Gadag one each.
House collapses killed two persons in Ramanagara and
one in Udupi, the officials said.
In Yembhatahalli in Bijapur district, about 35 houses
were damaged in the heavy rains, but no casualties were
reported, they said.
"Thunderstorm accompanied by lightning and rains
sometimes is very much part of pre-monsoon activity during
March-May. Lightning especially is a weather-related activity
which is highly localised. While Bangalore city may be hot, 50
km away there might be thunderstorm," said Director of
Karnataka State Natural Disaster Monitoring Centre V S
There were at least 50 lightning-related deaths every
year in the state during pre-monsoon months, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- China to feel Brexit effects, yuan to weaken against dollar: JP Morgan
- As Central India faces drought, violence and murders on the rise over water
- Baby boom! Teejay Sidhu and Karanvir Bohra to become parents for the first time
- Tripura Governor gets additional charge of Arunachal Pradesh
- Bucket list: You must try these things at least once before turning 25!