Rains, lightning strikes claim 19 lives in Karnataka
Bangalore: At least 19 people have died
in lightning strikes and house collapses triggered by
pre-monsoon rains in various parts of Karnataka in the past
four days, officials on Friday said.
While lightning claimed 16 lives, house collapses due
to heavy rains left three persons dead, revenue officials
Two persons working in a farm in Dyvarahalli in
Bangalore Rural district were struck dead by lightning today.
Hassan district accounted for maximum of three deaths
due to lightning strikes followed by Bangalore Rural, Shimoga,
Chamarajanagar and Haveri (two each) and Ramanagara, Bellary,
Bagalkot, Dharwad and Gadag one each.
House collapses killed two persons in Ramanagara and
one in Udupi, the officials said.
In Yembhatahalli in Bijapur district, about 35 houses
were damaged in the heavy rains, but no casualties were
reported, they said.
"Thunderstorm accompanied by lightning and rains
sometimes is very much part of pre-monsoon activity during
March-May. Lightning especially is a weather-related activity
which is highly localised. While Bangalore city may be hot, 50
km away there might be thunderstorm," said Director of
Karnataka State Natural Disaster Monitoring Centre V S
There were at least 50 lightning-related deaths every
year in the state during pre-monsoon months, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof