Rains play havoc in Bellary
Bellary/Bangalore: Hundreds of houses collapsed due to incessant rains lashing the district for the past three days.
"Due to heavy rains in the district as a result of cyclonic effect in the neighbouring state of Tamil Nadu, 126 houses have collapsed -- 110 in Hospet taluk and 16 in Sandur taluk," official sources said.
The nature`s fury also claimed the lives of several cows and sheep in Hoovinahadagali taluk, they said.
The beautifully carved two-floored "Salu Mantapa" built in the 17th century and situated near the famous Virupaksha temple at the world heritage site of Hampi also collapsed due to heavy rains.
Officials from the Archaeological Survey of India inspected the site and assured that renovation of the priceless remnant of the Vijayanagar empire will be taken up on a war footing.
District in charge minister Anand Singh convened an emergency meeting today and directed the administration to provide compensation to people who were rendered homeless and lost their cattle.
Bangalore and parts of Karnataka continued to experience rains under the impact of the cyclone.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- VIDEO: When helicopter shot came to haunt Team India and skipper MS Dhoni himself