Rallies for and against Bhardwaj in Karnataka
Bangalore: Peak hour morning traffic was hit for over two hours at several places in Bangalore on Tuesday as Congress workers blocked roads demanding dismissal of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) government in the state.
The BJP, on the other hand, staged counter-rallies across Karnataka, condemning Governor HR Bhardwaj for reportedly recommending the dismissal of the state government.
Carrying placards mocking Chief Minister BS Yeddyurappa and shouting slogans against his government, Congress workers held up traffic on four main avenues in east, west, south and north Bangalore.
The avenues were blocked for an hour from 11 am.
"This is a symbolic protest as we do not want to cause trouble to people, but our demand for ouster of the corrupt Yeddyurappa government remains," state Congress president G Parameshwara told reporters here.
The BJP activists burnt effigies of Bhardwaj and shouted slogans against him during demonstrations in all the 30 districts.
The demonstrations took place as Yeddyurappa waited in New Delhi to parade 121 legislators in front of President Pratibha Patil on Tuesday evening to prove he has majority in the 225-member Assembly that includes one nominated member.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border