Rallies for and against Bhardwaj in Karnataka
Bangalore: Peak hour morning traffic was hit for over two hours at several places in Bangalore on Tuesday as Congress workers blocked roads demanding dismissal of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) government in the state.
The BJP, on the other hand, staged counter-rallies across Karnataka, condemning Governor HR Bhardwaj for reportedly recommending the dismissal of the state government.
Carrying placards mocking Chief Minister BS Yeddyurappa and shouting slogans against his government, Congress workers held up traffic on four main avenues in east, west, south and north Bangalore.
The avenues were blocked for an hour from 11 am.
"This is a symbolic protest as we do not want to cause trouble to people, but our demand for ouster of the corrupt Yeddyurappa government remains," state Congress president G Parameshwara told reporters here.
The BJP activists burnt effigies of Bhardwaj and shouted slogans against him during demonstrations in all the 30 districts.
The demonstrations took place as Yeddyurappa waited in New Delhi to parade 121 legislators in front of President Pratibha Patil on Tuesday evening to prove he has majority in the 225-member Assembly that includes one nominated member.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!