Rape shame: Protests turn violent in Bangalore, police resort to lathi-charge
Zee Media Bureau/Deepak Nagpal
Bangalore: Protests continued in Bangalore on Monday in connection with the rape of a six-year-old child in a school here.
A large number of protesters, including parents and ABVP activists, gathered outside the Vibgyor High School here this morning.
A scuffle broke out between the protesters and police after the former attempted to break barricades.
The police then had to resort to lathi-charge to dispel the protesters.
"We were peacefully protesting, we wanted the management to come out and respond to us about its inaction in this case; but police here manhandled us, they manhandled our women protesters, no women police staff are present here," a protester alleged.
However, when questioned, a police official at the spot said, "no one was pushed or manhandled, we were just trying to restrain them. Adequate woman staff is present here...."
On Sunday, the police arrested a skating instructor at the public school in connection with the alleged rape of the six-year-old student.
It was the first arrest in the incident which occurred on July 2 and came to light on July 14 after a police complaint was lodged.
"Mustafa, a skating instructor, has been arrested," Bangalore Police Commissioner Raghavendra Auradkar said yesterday.
Police said they also seized a laptop and a mobile from the accused which are filled with pornographic material. "The laptop had videos of school children being raped downloaded from Internet. This shows his state of mind," the commissioner added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price