Recounting of votes confirms BJP MP Shanta`s victory
Bellary (Ktk): The re-counting of votes polled for Bellary (reserved) Lok Sabha seat on Saturday confirmed BJP nominee J Shanta is the winner in the 2009 polls.
The recounting of votes was taken up at the Supreme Court directive.
The outcome of the re-count will be intimated to the apex court, Bellary District Deputy Commissioner Amlan Aditya Biswas told reporters in the presence of five EC observers who were appointed to oversee the process.
Shanta had won the 2009 election by a margin of 2243 votes and the re-counting confirmed it today.
"It is victory for the truth", Shanta, sister of BSR party founder B Sreeramulu, said after the results were announced.
Shanta is now identified with her brother`s fledgling political party and continue to be BJP MP.
Shanta secured 4,02,213 votes as against NY Hanumanthappa (Cong) 3,99,970.
Chandregowda, a Congress worker of Bellary, had filed a petition challenging Shanta`s election accusing electoral malpractices by the authorities and the Karnataka High Court had ordered for recount of votes.
The Supreme Court had on June 11 upheld the High Court order and directed the authorities to take up recount of votes, which was held today.
Supporters of BSR (Badavara, Shramikara and Raithara) party celebrated the endorsement of Shanta`s victory in various parts of the district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Russia announces aid operation for Syria`s besieged Aleppo
- Democratic National Convention: In speech of her life, Hillary Clinton to say 'US at moment of reckoning'
- Security agencies have advised PM Modi to speak from within bulletproof enclosure on Independence Day: Report
- US women lawmakers back Hillary Clinton as next US President
- South Sudan on brink of an abyss: UN chief