Recounting of votes in Bellary LS polls on Sept 15
Bellary: Recounting of votes polled in the Bellary Lok Sabha constituency in the April 2009 General Election would be taken up on September 15 as per the direction of Election Commission, a top official said on Wednesday.
Deputy Commissioner Amalan Aditya Biswas said in a statement that votes stored in EVMs in 1589 police stations in eight Assembly constituencies would be taken up for counting.
The Karnataka High Court had directed recounting on a petition alleging electoral malpractices filed by Chandragowda, the polling agent for Congress candidate N Y Hanumanthappa, who lost to BJP`s J Shantha by 2,243 votes.
Shantha had moved the Supreme Court, which upheld the High Court order. In its August 17 order, the Apex Court directed recounting of votes be taken up in four weeks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- UK warns of Brexit `shadow` on world economy
- 1st Test: Virat Kohli, R Ashwin shine as India thrash West Indies by innings and 92 runs
- Teenage friend of Munich gunman arrested: police
- 11 injured in blast in German city of Ansbach; suspected bomber killed in explosion
- Scoreboard: India vs West Indies, First Test