Recounting of votes in Bellary LS polls on Sept 15
Bellary: Recounting of votes polled in the Bellary Lok Sabha constituency in the April 2009 General Election would be taken up on September 15 as per the direction of Election Commission, a top official said on Wednesday.
Deputy Commissioner Amalan Aditya Biswas said in a statement that votes stored in EVMs in 1589 police stations in eight Assembly constituencies would be taken up for counting.
The Karnataka High Court had directed recounting on a petition alleging electoral malpractices filed by Chandragowda, the polling agent for Congress candidate N Y Hanumanthappa, who lost to BJP`s J Shantha by 2,243 votes.
Shantha had moved the Supreme Court, which upheld the High Court order. In its August 17 order, the Apex Court directed recounting of votes be taken up in four weeks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mild earthquake jolts Rajasthan, no damage reported
- Leander Paes, Sania Mirza advance at US Open
- Yakub Memon, Afzal Guru's executions were politically motivated: Justice AP Shah
- My mother is like Indrani Mukerjea, she likes having sex with many men: Delhi school boy
- Sheena Bora case: This is how Indrani Mukerjea got idea to plot a 'perfect murder'