Recounting of votes in Bellary LS polls on Sept 15
Bellary: Recounting of votes polled in the Bellary Lok Sabha constituency in the April 2009 General Election would be taken up on September 15 as per the direction of Election Commission, a top official said on Wednesday.
Deputy Commissioner Amalan Aditya Biswas said in a statement that votes stored in EVMs in 1589 police stations in eight Assembly constituencies would be taken up for counting.
The Karnataka High Court had directed recounting on a petition alleging electoral malpractices filed by Chandragowda, the polling agent for Congress candidate N Y Hanumanthappa, who lost to BJP`s J Shantha by 2,243 votes.
Shantha had moved the Supreme Court, which upheld the High Court order. In its August 17 order, the Apex Court directed recounting of votes be taken up in four weeks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed