Reddy supporters force bandh in Bellary
Bellary: Supporters of the former Karnataka minister G Janardhana Reddy on Tuesday pelted stones at two government offices and forced closure of several shops during the bandh call given by them in the district to protest the arrest of their leader by CBI.
Reddy supporters on went on a stone pelting spree, damaging window panes of the Regional Transport Office and Forest Department office near Royal Circle, police said.
They also forced shops and business establishments on Cowl Bazar and Bangalore Road area to close down, they added.
Some staff members of the two government offices were injured in the stone pelting, police said but could not give the number of those injured.
A supporter of Reddy, whom the police identified as Sanganakallu Sunkaiah tried to commit self immolation pouring kerosene on his body, but police foiled the attempt and took him into custody.
Eight platoons of state Reserve police and ten platoons of District Armed Reserve to keep vigil in the city, police said.
Janardhana and his brother-in-law B V Srinivas Reddy, who is also the Managing Director of Obulapuram Mining Corporation (OMC) were arrested by CBI yesterday here and were produced before a court in Hyderabad, which remanded them to 14-day judicial custody in connection with cases filed against them over illegal mining.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you