Reddy`s judicial custody extended till September 7
Bangalore: A CBI court today extended till September 7 the judicial custody of former minister and mining baron G Janardhana Reddy and four others arrested in the illegal mining case of Associated Mining Corporation owned by him.
Judge B M Angadi extended the custody after they were produced before the court through video conferencing from Parappana Agrahara jail where they are lodged.
Reddy`s wife Aruna Lakshmi, who is on bail, was present in the court.
Meanwhile, Reddy`s personal aide Mehfuz Ali Khan, who is also an accused in the case, filed an application seeking bail for a second time, along with a copy of the High Court order dated July 24.
Counsel for Mehfuz Ali Khan said Ramzan was fast approaching and his client has a five-month-old child. As per religious tenets, a child has to spend his first Ramzan along with his parents and therefore his client be granted bail, he submitted.
The court then posted his bail application to August 8 for the CBI to file its objections.
On July 24, the CBI Court had rejected bail applications of Deputy Conservator of Forest A C Muthaiah and S P Raju, accused in the case, on the ground that there was "sufficient material to show their active involvement in the illegal mining of AMC".
Reddy was arrested along with Khan in September 2011 by CBI.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?