Reddy`s judicial custody extended till September 7
Bangalore: A CBI court today extended till September 7 the judicial custody of former minister and mining baron G Janardhana Reddy and four others arrested in the illegal mining case of Associated Mining Corporation owned by him.
Judge B M Angadi extended the custody after they were produced before the court through video conferencing from Parappana Agrahara jail where they are lodged.
Reddy`s wife Aruna Lakshmi, who is on bail, was present in the court.
Meanwhile, Reddy`s personal aide Mehfuz Ali Khan, who is also an accused in the case, filed an application seeking bail for a second time, along with a copy of the High Court order dated July 24.
Counsel for Mehfuz Ali Khan said Ramzan was fast approaching and his client has a five-month-old child. As per religious tenets, a child has to spend his first Ramzan along with his parents and therefore his client be granted bail, he submitted.
The court then posted his bail application to August 8 for the CBI to file its objections.
On July 24, the CBI Court had rejected bail applications of Deputy Conservator of Forest A C Muthaiah and S P Raju, accused in the case, on the ground that there was "sufficient material to show their active involvement in the illegal mining of AMC".
Reddy was arrested along with Khan in September 2011 by CBI.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez