Rout Reddys politically to save Bellary: Siddaramaiah
Bellary: Opposition Congress leader in the
state Assembly Siddaramaiah today asked people to "eliminate
politically" ministers and mining magnates Reddy brothers,
accused in the illegal mining scam, to "preserve" the district
and state resources from being looted.
"If Bellary is to be saved and its resources are to be
preserved, Reddys should be eliminated politically. They are
not developing Bellary, but cheating people by promising
development", he said at a rally at the culmination of the
party`s 320 km padayatra from Bangalore against the illegal
Describing himself as a "true Kannadiga", the Congress
leader called the Reddy brothers "outsiders" in the state.
"These outsiders dared me to come to Bellary. Bellary is
part of Karnataka. I am a Kannadiga. Is Bellary their fiefdom,
or they are emperors there? They have no culture. Nor do they
have any links with any family with a political background",
He demanded to know from where the brothers have earned
so much money.
"In 2003-04 they did not have taxable income. But now
they speak of investment of Rs 57,000 crore. From where did
they earn so much," he asked.
He accused Yeddyurappa of being the "weakest Chief
Minister" the state ever had and a "betrayer" of people.
He reiterated his party`s demand for a CBI probe into
illegal mining and iron ore export and warned that the state
will not survive if such activities are not checked or those
Siddaramaiah, who accepted the Reddy brothers challenge
in in the assembly on July 9, daring him to step on their home
turf, today said he was accepting another challenge from
Janardhana Reddy to contest in one of the assembly
constituencies of Bellary.
"Let Reddy`s influence Yeddyurappa to dissolve the state
assembly. I will accept the challenge and contest against
Janardhana Reddy in Bellary", he said.
Siddaramaiah said Congress is not only fighting against
illegal mining, but also the BJP government`s `betrayal` of
people on various promises, including distribution of 25 kg
rice to poor and others.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?