Ruling BJP cautious on action against Yeddyurappa loyalists
Belgaum (Kar): Faced with the prospect of instability of its government, ruling BJP on Wednesday treaded cautiously on initiating action against 13 MLAs who threw their lot with former Chief Minister BS Yeddyurappa and attended his party`s formal launch on December 9 at Haveri.
Apparently with the numbers game uppermost in their minds, the state core committee met here and discussed action to be taken against errant legislators, MPs and others for attending the Karnataka Janata Party rally.
"We will decide in consultation with the central leadership on whether to serve showcause notices or take any other action against rebel legislators," state BJP President K S Eshwarappa told reporters.
He said the committee members would send a report on the issue to the central leadership in the next two days.
Asked whether the party is delaying action against the legislators to save the government, Eshwarappa said if that were so, it would not have axed Cooperation Minister B J Puttaswamy, a trusted lieutenant of Yeddyurappa.
Eshwarappa said it is not possible for a national party like BJP to take immediate decisions. "We have the central leadership and cannot take decisions at the state level."
Cocking a snook at the party, which had warned of disciplinary action, 13 loyalist MLAs of Yeddyurappa, who recently quit BJP, shared the dais with him.
The open defiance by Yeddyurappa`s loyalists has put BJP in a quandary, as any action against them would throw the five month old shaky Shettar government to the brink of collapse.
On reports of a possible cabinet reshuffle, Eshwarappa said the issue did not figure in the meeting.
Besides Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar, the meeting was attended by Deputy Chief Ministers K S Eshwarappa and R Ashok, former Chief Minister D V Sadananda Gowda, Mangalore MP Nalin Kumar Kateel, state BJP organising Secretary Santosh and Dharwad (North) MP Prahlad Joshi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof