Save Lokayukta campaign begins in Karnataka
Bangalore: A `save Lokayukta` campaign began here on Monday to press for appointment of a Lokayukta in Karnataka.
Several activists participated in the dharna, launched under the banner of Jana Jagruthi Andolana at Freedom Park here, in which veteran freedom fighter H S Doreswamy Iyenger, former Karnataka Lokayukta Santosh Hegde and others took part.
Karnataka unit JDU president Dr M P Nadagouda and former MLC, A K Subbaiah also participated in the dharna, which will be staged till June 16.
Speaking on the occasion Hegde urged the government to appoint a Lokayukta at the earliest and said the institution which fights corruption should not be turned into a `lame duck`.
The Lokayukta office has remained vacant since about nine months after Shivaraj Patil quit in September 2011 following a controversy over securing allotment of a residential site in his wife`s name, which the retired Supreme Court judge surrendered later.
Governor H R Bhardwaj refused to appoint retired judge S R Bannurmath as Lokayukta as he also faced a land allotment controversy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IPL 2016: David Warner cannot stop praising Virat Kohli's unbelievable form in ninth edition
- Modi's Iran visit: India commits huge investment in Chabahar
- Potassium bromate, potassium iodate in bread: This is how they can affect your health!
- Congress, BJP have husband-wife like relationship: Arvind Kejriwal
- Oops! Bella Hadid's revealing outfits stun glamour world – Watch