Save Lokayukta campaign begins in Karnataka
Bangalore: A `save Lokayukta` campaign began here on Monday to press for appointment of a Lokayukta in Karnataka.
Several activists participated in the dharna, launched under the banner of Jana Jagruthi Andolana at Freedom Park here, in which veteran freedom fighter H S Doreswamy Iyenger, former Karnataka Lokayukta Santosh Hegde and others took part.
Karnataka unit JDU president Dr M P Nadagouda and former MLC, A K Subbaiah also participated in the dharna, which will be staged till June 16.
Speaking on the occasion Hegde urged the government to appoint a Lokayukta at the earliest and said the institution which fights corruption should not be turned into a `lame duck`.
The Lokayukta office has remained vacant since about nine months after Shivaraj Patil quit in September 2011 following a controversy over securing allotment of a residential site in his wife`s name, which the retired Supreme Court judge surrendered later.
Governor H R Bhardwaj refused to appoint retired judge S R Bannurmath as Lokayukta as he also faced a land allotment controversy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- If Bihar marches forward, then nation will also progress: PM Modi
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!