Save Lokayukta campaign begins in Karnataka
Bangalore: A `save Lokayukta` campaign began here on Monday to press for appointment of a Lokayukta in Karnataka.
Several activists participated in the dharna, launched under the banner of Jana Jagruthi Andolana at Freedom Park here, in which veteran freedom fighter H S Doreswamy Iyenger, former Karnataka Lokayukta Santosh Hegde and others took part.
Karnataka unit JDU president Dr M P Nadagouda and former MLC, A K Subbaiah also participated in the dharna, which will be staged till June 16.
Speaking on the occasion Hegde urged the government to appoint a Lokayukta at the earliest and said the institution which fights corruption should not be turned into a `lame duck`.
The Lokayukta office has remained vacant since about nine months after Shivaraj Patil quit in September 2011 following a controversy over securing allotment of a residential site in his wife`s name, which the retired Supreme Court judge surrendered later.
Governor H R Bhardwaj refused to appoint retired judge S R Bannurmath as Lokayukta as he also faced a land allotment controversy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Son of Kota Central jail prisoner clears IIT entrance exam
- Cabinet approves Act allowing malls, restaurants, theaters to stay open 24×7
- New framework that can predict terrorist attacks developed!
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution?
- Maharashtra B.Ed CET Result 2016: dhe.mhpravesh.in declares B.Ed CET Results, check B.Ed result 2016 by directly clicking here
- Delhi boy 'Sonu', abducted 6 years ago, returns home from Bangladesh today
- 'Sultan' Salman Khan lends his majestic voice for the title track, impresses again! – Check out
- Caitlyn Jenner, Lady Gaga to pay tribute to Orlando Victims
- Beach fresh in pastel, Priyanka Chopra exhibits simplicity in new magazine cover!