Save Lokayukta campaign begins in Karnataka
Bangalore: A `save Lokayukta` campaign began here on Monday to press for appointment of a Lokayukta in Karnataka.
Several activists participated in the dharna, launched under the banner of Jana Jagruthi Andolana at Freedom Park here, in which veteran freedom fighter H S Doreswamy Iyenger, former Karnataka Lokayukta Santosh Hegde and others took part.
Karnataka unit JDU president Dr M P Nadagouda and former MLC, A K Subbaiah also participated in the dharna, which will be staged till June 16.
Speaking on the occasion Hegde urged the government to appoint a Lokayukta at the earliest and said the institution which fights corruption should not be turned into a `lame duck`.
The Lokayukta office has remained vacant since about nine months after Shivaraj Patil quit in September 2011 following a controversy over securing allotment of a residential site in his wife`s name, which the retired Supreme Court judge surrendered later.
Governor H R Bhardwaj refused to appoint retired judge S R Bannurmath as Lokayukta as he also faced a land allotment controversy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list