SC refuses relief for woman IAS in mining scam
New Delhi: Senior Andhra Pradesh IAS officer
Y Srilakshmi, one of the accused in the Obulapuram Mining
Company (OMC) case involving Karnataka`s Reddy brothers on Friday
suffered a setback with the Supreme Court refusing to take up
her bail plea which was earlier cancelled by the high court.
The high court had earlier cancelled her bail granted by
the special CBI court and had directed her to surrender before
January 6, upon which she moved the apex court.
A bench of justices H L Dattu and C K Prasad refrained
from taking up her bail plea made through senior counsel
Vishwanathan and Mukul Rohtagi during the mentioning time and
said the matter would come up on the notified date (January
The special CBI court in Hyderabad had earlier granted a
conditional bail to Srilakshmi, who was holding the charge of
Secretary Mines at the time of the alleged scam in 2007 was
arrested on a charge of abusing the official position to grant
favours to former Karnataka minister Gali Janardhan Reddy-
On December 2, the high court reversed the order and
asked the 1988-batch officer, who was suspended, to surrender
before the CBI special court before January 6.
The high court observed that Srilakshmi had betrayed her
official duty and did not deserve the bail, which the lower
court granted wrongly.
The CBI had argued that as she was an IAS officer and as
her husband was an IPS officer, there was a chance that
evidence would be tampered with if she was set free.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter
- WATCH: Chris Gayle hits Saeed Ajmal with three huge back-to-back sixes in PSL
- Drunk businessman molests air hostesses on Jet Airways Mumbai-Nagpur flight