SC refuses to quash anticipatory bail to Yeddy
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monday declined to cancel the anticipatory bail granted to BJP strongman and former Karnataka Chief Minister BS Yeddyurappa by the state High Court in a corruption case relating to a mining lease.
A bench of justices TS Thakur and Ibrahim Kalifulla, dismissing CBI`s appeal challenging the anticipatory bail, wondered what purpose would it serve by keeping the former Chief Minister in jail.
"Purchase and sale of land and making donations by itself are not offences. That`s what the High Court has said. You conduct a proper investigation and file a chargesheet.
"Even if we assume there is a link, does it mean he should be inside"? the bench told Additional Solicitor General (ASG) Mohan Parasaran appearing for the investigating agency.
The apex court brushed aside Parasaran`s plea that Yeddyurappa`s bail should be cancelled as he was "not cooperating" with CBI in the investigations.
"If he is not cooperating, then go and seek cancellation of his bail," the bench told the ASG.
The apex court also said it cannot interfere lightly with the grant of anticipatory bail as the same can be done only on the gravity of the case and the possibility of the accused jumping the bail.
Parasaran submitted the findings of the high court, while granting anticipatory bail to Yeddyurappa, were not correct as it prima facie gave an impression that the charges against him were baseless and that there was no linkage between the alleged fraudulent transactions relating to grant of lease and funds transferred to him and his family`s account while he was the Chief Minister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum